Monday, May 9, 2011

Cold Days/Nights

It is so crazy how cold it has been .  It is reminding us of last year when it snowed in June.  Here is the end of April and the first of May and we are still using our furnaces.  It has been getting below 30 degrees at night and I am so afraid of losing our fruit on our fruit trees again this year.  So I thought I would Google it and see what others have done.  I ran across several people who said they put Christmas lights on their trees and the heat from them kept their blossoms from freezing.  So Blake and I got out some lights and strung them on 3 of our trees (peach, apricot and nectarine).  We then tried to cover them with tarps and sheets.  We were both laughing so hard outside.  We looked like crazy people.  We had neighbors coming outside to see what was going on.  We have had so many people ask us why we had our Christmas lights on.  Several people wondered if we were trying to make it pretty for our bunnies for Easter.  WHAT???  Why in the world would anyone do that.  I got a good laugh out of that one.  I guess when people see lights on trees at the side and back of a house in April, you really try to grasp for any explanation.  Needless to say, so far it looks like our fruit trees are going to be okay.  I realize we are not out of the woods yet...although we would think we would be by now. 

No comments: